Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mr. X Arriving Monday (or Tuesday)

I've had an extraordinarily healthy pregnancy. And given my advanced maternal age, this is even more of wonderful thing. Dave says that I don't speak up enough to the doctors and let them know when something is wrong. And he's probably right. It's the good girl in me.

Lately, I've been trying to mention any little thing, like minor twinges or loosening joints. The doctors always smile and tell me that what I'm reporting is normal. One doctor even called me the perfect pregnant woman because I was having round ligament pain during the exact week that they would predict this would begin.

A couple of weeks ago, I went in and told the doctor that I was itchy. She asked a routine set of questions about whether I took really hot showers or had recently changed my soap, lotion or laundry detergent. Then she smiled and said that being itchy was normal and if it was keeping me awake at night, I should take an antihistamine.

Fast forward a week and a half and the next doctor launched into a dialogue of concern about my itchiness. She ordered several lab tests, a non-stress test and ultrasound and told me that they might want to induce on Thursday (today). She then called me yesterday and asked that I come back for more tests to help them confirm or discount the diagnosis.

At today's appointment, doctor number three said that all the tests came back borderline and to be safe, they'd like to induce.

Today.

Dave and I discussed all the possible outcomes and repercussions of waiting a few days and decided to stay the course until Monday. Yet another non-stress test (the technician said Mr. X looked awesome) and ultrasound (also fine and reporting a possible birth weight of 7 lbs. 8 oz.). While we were there, they got the definitive test back which confirmed my borderline status of having cholestasis.

We decided to be cautious and to schedule an induction for Monday. The good news is that both me and Mr. X are doing just fine, beyond some itchiness. The cholestasis will go away after he is born and there are no long term repercussions for either of us. Just one weird pregnancy fluke.

Given the possibilities, this seems like a small condition to have. Stay tuned for more information on Mr. X's actual arrival.

No comments: